Health Insurance Enrollment

Health Exchange / Affordable Care Act

Under the Affordable Care Act, beginning in January 2014 all Americans will be eligible for and are required to have health insurance. The 2017 Open Enrollment Period for the Health Exchange will be open November 1 - December 15, 2018. All plans are set to begin January 1, 2018.

Need to enroll in Health Insurance?

This year’s open enrollment period is much shorter than it ever has been before, only 45 days.

Be prepared:

  • Do you have your user name & password?
  • In case you need to reset your password do you know your security questions?
  • Are you prepared to estimate your income?
  • Have you reconciled/filed taxes for last year? If not, you could lose your tax credits for 2018.
  • Have you received any notices from the Marketplace? It is important to read any notices you receive so if additional information is requested you can submit it before it effects your coverage.
  • Know which insurance plans your doctors accept.
  • Have a list of your current Medications and dosage prepared so you can make the insurance plan you are considering will cover them.

There are a number of ways to apply for health coverage on the Health Exchange Marketplace.

  1. Visit, or call 1-855-996-6449 (TTY:1-855-851-2018) to find free in-person enrollment assistance in your area from enrollment counselors and insurance brokers.
  2. Go to to create your own online account and submit an application, or
  3. Call the Health Exchange marketplace call center at 1-800-318-2596 (TTY: 1-855-889-4325) -available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (Closed Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day).

The Benefit Navigation Program of Holy Cross Hospital provides free year-round benefit navigation and enrollment counseling services for the Health Exchange, Medicaid, and Medicare. We have two locations and can provide assistance in both English and Spanish. We can be reached at (575) 751 5764.

Renewal of existing coverage with the Exchange

If you had coverage through the Exchange last year and gave permission for the Exchange to access your income records from 2017, filed your 2016 taxes, are satisfied with your current plan including the type of coverage and the amount of advanced premium tax credits you qualify for, and you make no changes to your current application you will be automatically reenrolled in that plan or a similar plan on December 15, 2017, and your coverage will begin January 1, 2018. Make sure to file your 2016 taxes in 2017 to maintain your tax credit eligibility.

Still Need Health Insurance in 2017:

Consumers who experience certain changes in circumstances outside of open enrollment may be eligible for a Special Enrollment Period (SEP) to enroll in or change marketplace health plans.

A consumer may be eligible for an SEP in the following circumstances:

  • Loosing minimum essential coverage (MEC) -not due to failure to pay premiums
  • Loosing pregnancy-related or medically needed Medicaid coverage that is not MEC
  • Becoming a U.S. citizen, U.S. national or lawfully present individual
  • Gaining or becoming a dependent (e.g. through marriage, birth, adoption, placement for adoption or in foster care, a child support order or other court order)
  • Ending a non-calendar year plan (even if able to renew)
  • Being a survivor of domestic violence or spousal abandonment
  • Permanently moving to a different state or to a place within the same state where different Qualified Health Plans (QHPs) are available in the marketplace (included being released from incarceration)
  • Becoming (or having one's dependent become) newly eligible or ineligible for APTC's or having a change in Cost-Sharing Reduction (CSR) eligibility (if enrolled in a QHP)
  • Unintentionally, inadvertently, or erroneously being enrolled (or not enrolled) in a QHP due to error, misrepresentation, misconduct or inaction of the marketplace, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) or its employees or agents, or by a non-marketplace entity providing enrollment assistance
  • Having one's QHP substantially violate a "material provision" of its contract
  • Being a member of a federally recognized American Indian or Alaska Native tribe (can enroll in or change QHP's once per month)

If you believe you qualify for a SEP please contact our Benefit Navigation Specialists for assistance, (575) 751- 5764.

2018 Fines:

The fee for not having health insurance that meets the minimum essential coverage in 2017 effects individuals who file taxes.

The fee is calculated 2 different ways – as a percentage of your household income, and per person. You’ll pay whichever is higher.

Percentage of income

  • 2.5% of household income
  • Maximum: Total yearly premium for the national average price of a Bronze plan sold through the Marketplace

Per person

  • 695 per adult
  • $347.50 per child under 18
  • Maximum: $2,085

The New Mexico Health Insurance Exchange makes it easy to find an affordable plan. Visit or call Holy Cross Hospital Community Service Office to learn more and enroll in a plan that meets your needs.

To learn more, or to schedule an appointment:
Call: Community Services Office
Phone: (575) 751-5764

Request a free consultation

The Primary Care Association and the NMHIX worked with Duke City Software to develop an electronic postcard for people to request that someone contact them about enrolling in Medicaid or the Exchange.

Helpful Documents:

  • Social Security Numbers (or document numbers for legal immigrants)
  • Employer and income information for every member of your household who needs coverage (for example, from pay stubs or W-2 forms – Wage and Tax Statements)
  • Policy numbers for any current health insurance plans covering member of your household
  • A completed Employer coverage Tool for every job-based plan you or someone in your household is eligible for (You’ll need to fill out this form even for coverage you’re eligible for but don’t enroll in.)
  • U.S. birth certificate, American Indian Card issued by the Department of Homeland Security, or Passport (can be expired), or documentation of legal status in the United States
  • Current state driver’s license with a picture, a current state ID card with a picture, a school ID card with a picture
  • Documentation of childcare expenses, if applicable
  • Proof of pregnancy, if applicable

To learn more, or to schedule an appointment:
Call: Community Services Office
Phone: (575) 751-5764

The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) was signed into law in 2010. Since then, our health care system has been slowly changing – and we’re concerned that residents of the rural Southwest are not well-enough informed of their new rights and opportunities.

As the many facets of the ACA gradually become law, the Southwest Rural Policy Network (SWRPN) is working to ensure that our rural communities know how, why, and when things are changing – and know exactly what effect the law will have on businesses, families, and individuals. To that end, we developed and distributed some simple materials to providers and community service organizations in our region. This is our effort to put information directly into the hands of the people.

We hope that these materials will help both providers and consumers to educate themselves about the many new opportunities and rights they have under the ACA, and help citizens of the rural Southwest become better advocates for themselves in accessing the health we all deserve.

If you’re interested in requesting materials for your own organization to distribute; if you have questions or ideas about getting your community better-prepared for changes to health care; or if you just want to touch base about the project, please email and we will get back to you!